Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Memories of Noni

I had the opportunity to go home and spend time with my grandmother, Noni before she passed away. As I was there and since I have been back I have done a lot of reflecting on the type of grandmother and women she was. She is the type of grandmother I hope to be some day. She was loving and kind and a lot of FUN. She holds such dear memories for everyone who knew her. We spent a lot of our childhood with our grandparents. My mother was very close to Noni. They had an amazing bond- as everyone felt with Noni.

It is difficult to put memories down. I wanted my children to have brief glimpse at how special my grandmother was to me.

My memories include:

1. Noni and Dida had a white christmas tree with a bird that sang. Christmas was always very special in our family. We would go to Noni and Dida's house each year. It was always a loud, fun celebration with family and a lot of food. All the grand kids had stockings hung in the cold, back room. We would each get a dollar in our stocking.
2. Noni was the best cook. She always had food whenever people came over. I remember having pasta with cheese in it every time we went over. I also remember really good chicken noodle soup made with bow tie noodles. We would always add grated parmessan cheese.
3. I remember going over to Noni's and watching MTV with her. She would comment on how cute the singers were and who had nice bums.
4. I remember when I was at College I came home for a week during the summer. It was the summer of 1996. I sat in front of Noni while she brushed my hair.
5. I remember that soda was delviered to Noni and Dida's house in glass bottles. It was always a treat to have the "good soda".
6. I remember that noni would give us change to go to the store next to her house for treats.
7. I remember how special she would always make you feel.
8. I remember being there before she passed away- rubbing her head, holding her hand and singing her songs. I remember that she told me she loved me even though it was a struggle to say anything. I will always remember those last few special moments I was able to share with her.

We named Lydia after Noni (Lydia Boccacio Congelos) because Noni was an example of a loving, kind, powerful woman.

I am so grateful for my knowledge that families WILL be together forever. I know I will see Noni again. I imagine her now- sitting and talking with Dida and other friends and family. I can only imagine how many people rejoiced the day she went home to them.

2 comments:

Dina C said...

This entry makes me cry. We had so many fun memories with Nonny. I miss her already. Do you remember the willow tree in the back of their yard? It was so fun to play underneath it. And our Christmas stockings there.
Thank you for coming home!

heather said...

hey I cried too when I read this entry. My favorite was always watching Grease with her! That bird was the worse. Thanks for letting her know that she was loved.